Thermal System 1D Simulation Engineer
About The Position
REE is disrupting and revolutionizing the electric mobility industry and aims at becoming the standard for the future electric vehicle architecture. There has never been a more exciting time to be part of a technology company such as REE and no industry offers more fast-paced change and opportunity than today’s automotive industry. REE is at the epicentre of the electric mobility revolution that will completely change the world to a cleaner place.
We collaborate with worldwide, leading automotive players and technology companies to facilitate the development, engineering and assembly of our technology and bring it to automotive-grade, mass-production worthy products.
We are looking for a Thermal System 1D Simulation Engineer based at our engineering centre in Coventry.
In this position you will be responsible for development & correlation of the REE Platform Thermal System 1D Model and creation of a Cabin Comfort 1D model.
You will also support activities related to the control of the Thermal System during Virtual testing, with a focus on developing and implementing efficient thermal control strategies.
You will also support activities related to the DFMEA prevention/detection actions that must be assessed as part of the Thermal System Validation Plan.
- Lead Thermal System 1D model development and validation work streams for each vehicle build phase, to ensure Thermal System performance meets attribute and system level requirements.
- Create and develop 1D Cabin model to support Climate System specification creation for Climate System Engineer and/or external partners.
- Collaborate with Thermal System Principal Engineer to ensure that Thermal System components are suitable/sized correctly to meet system performance targets.
- Collaborate with Suppliers to capture component/subsystem characteristic data to implement into 1D model.
- Collaborate with Aerodynamics/CFD Engineers (internal & external) to ensure robust 1D model inputs and support Heat Exchanger optimisation activities.
- Develop and optimise EDU and Battery thermal models to ensure correlation to real-world performance.
- Collaborate with Thermal System Test & Integration Engineer to correlate 1D models with physical test data.
- Co-simulate Thermal System 1D model with Thermal System Control model(s) during Virtual test (Software in Loop and Model In Loop) work streams, to ensure Thermal System Control functionality supports the Thermal System to meet program deliverables.
- Support Thermal System Principal Engineer with development & cascade of Thermal System Control Requirements to Control Team.
- Support Platform Control Optimisation work streams, to balance Thermal System attribute [Battery Thermal Management, REE Corner Thermal Management & Occupant Comfort] delivery and vehicle and / or system level efficiency target delivery.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Experience of 1D modelling of single & dual phase thermal systems.
- 1-D Simulation Tools - Gamma Technologies Suite (GT ISE /GEM3D/POST) preferred.
- Matlab Simulink modelling experience.
- Co-Simulation experience.
- Interpreting of Rig & Vehicle Test Data.
- Knowledge of HV battery, Electrified Drive Units [EDU] and Power Electronics.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team working skills.
- Strong knowledge of thermal management principles, heat transfer, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics.
- Working experience of Microsoft Office products including SharePoint, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- ILR to live and work in the UK. REE do not offer work permits, visas or sponsorships
- Office Location: REE Engineering Centre, Coventry