REEcorner™ technology advantages
- Best-in-class function – right-sized / right-functioned vehicles, volumetric efficiency, maneuverability, serviceability, visibility
- Energy efficiency – aerodynamic drag reductions and reduced energy consumption
- Operational efficiency – reduced total cost of ownership (TCO), driver ergonomics, shorter delivery cycle times, faster time to market
The REEcorner™ integrates all critical vehicle components (steering, braking, suspension, powertrain, and control) into a single compact module between the chassis and the wheel. Each REECorner™ is completely independent and controlled by its own electronic control unit (ECU), with a REEcenter ECU that controls all corner-level functions.
Fully sprung, American Axle & Manufacturing 3-in-1, high RPM drive unit, integrating oil-cooled electric drive unit, inverter, and gear box with drive-by-wire control. Available all-wheel, front-wheel, or rear-wheel drive.
48V steer-by-wire technology available as front-wheel or all-wheel steer
48V electro-hydraulic brake-by-wire technology
Advanced data collection sensors for thousands of data points per second, per corner
Smart monitoring for preventative maintenance, AI and over-the-air (OTA) updates
Capable of REEcorner quick replacements
Single dry connection for 400V, 48V, and cooling lines
The REE platform is fully flat end-to-end, scalable, and modular, enabling complete design freedom and optimal volumetric efficiency for class 1 to 6 commercial vehicles.
FREEDOM OF DESIGN
The REE platform enables mission-specific EV applications based on exact business needs for the commercial EV industry. The REE platform’s scalable technology allows it to carry a variety of permutations without the need to design a new platform for each vehicle type, saving major costs and time.
The absence of mechanical components between wheels eliminates packaging constraints for best-in-class low-load floor height
The low and smooth chassis can eliminate dual rear tires for reduced underbody turbulence enabling improved vehicle aerodynamics with a reduced drag coefficient
Agnostic to driver input for either manual or autonomous driving (AD) system control – providing flexibility in driver position: cab forward or rearward design, left-hand or right-and driver positions
Flexibility in REEcorner placement to meet precise requirements from vocational equipment/body installations, load distribution needs, and dimensional requirements
Battery placement between REEcorners and straight rails provides protected and unconstrained modular battery cell packaging with flexibility to meet fleet needs for increased range, temporary seasonal demand, etc.
X-by-wire and Safety
REE’s proprietary x-by-wire technology provides full steer-by-wire, brake-by-wire, and drive-by-wire independent wheel control. This technology eliminates mechanical components between the wheels, thus enabling a fully-flat chassis, driver position flexibility, low step-in height, and improved vehicle maneuverability.
- X-by-wire control for independent corner drive, steer, and brake functions enable superior electronic stability control (ESC) in adverse conditions and in emergency maneuvers for optimal safety
- REEcornertm individual brake systems for a very compact and efficient hydraulic system enables industry-leading time to lock metrics of <100mS
- REEcornertm and REEcenter ECUs with AutoSAR and functional safety (FuSa) applications-compliant with ISO 262626; Fail operational designs via redundancies in hardware and software (eg 6 phase motors on steering actuation, double CAN buses) ensure that vehicle function is preserved during any single catastrophic failure
- ISO 21434 compliant for cybersecurity – REEcenter ECU is the only point of entry to the vehicle
- 48V Steering & Brake Systems – future-proofed technology enable downsized harnesses and actuators with optimal performance
- Silicon carbide (SiC) inverters can support future 800V operation
Modularity & Scalability
Each REEcorner family covers a section of the entire range of gross vehicle weight ratings (GVWR) from Class 1 to Class 6
Within a family of corners, significant synergies enable the efficient development of variants. They can be generally summarized based on location within the REEcorner:
- Includes traction drive systems and steering & braking actuation. Here adjustments for 2WD vs. AWD, and front-wheel steer vs. all wheel steer are simply executed
- Inboard systems are relatively consistent from application to application, maximizing core system and component commonization
- Includes REEcornertm suspension and foundation braking systems
- Generally, these include industry-standard off-the-shelf components which allows for mission-specific customization while minimizing unique development requirements.
REE’s zone architecture and x-by-wire systems remain generally consistent throughout the entire range of applications from Class 1 to Class 2. This advantage of x-by-wire control enables significant development synergies by preserving core FuSa and Autosar based Software Development achievements including motion and stability dynamic functions and ISO 26262 and 21434. Each incremental application drives only unique calibration activities
Vehicle Architecture comparison
Powertrain remains between the wheels, with mechanical steering & braking components
REEcorner™ modules with by-wire steering, drive and braking, for a fully flat platform from front to rear
What's New at REE?
REE AUTOMOTIVE ANNOUNCES SECOND QUARTER 2022 FINANCIAL RESULTS
REE announces its financial results for the second quarter of 2022.
REE AUTOMOTIVE DEBUTS P7-B, AN ELECTRIC CLASS 3 BOX TRUCK
REE introduces P7-B, a class 3 box truck built on a P7 cab chassis, following intensive customer evaluations at REE’s UK Engineering Center.
PROXIMA POWERED BY REE, A NEWLY DESIGNED ELECTRIC WALK-IN STEP VAN
Morgan Olson, EAVX and REE host customer evaluations for Proxima Powered By REE.