Thermal & Climate System Engineer
About The Position
REE is disrupting and revolutionizing the electric mobility industry and aims at becoming the standard for the future electric vehicle architecture. There has never been a more exciting time to be part of a technology company such as REE and no industry offers more fast-paced change and opportunity than today’s automotive industry. REE is at the epicentre of the electric mobility revolution that will completely change the world to a cleaner place.
We collaborate with worldwide, leading automotive players and technology companies to facilitate the development, engineering and assembly of our technology and bring it to automotive-grade, mass-production worthy products.
We are looking for a Thermal & Climate System Engineer based at our engineering centre in Coventry.
In this position you will be working within the Thermal Systems Team supporting development, validation and delivery of the REE Thermal Systems. You will be responsible for the REE Climate System and integration of partner climate systems with the REE Platform.
You will also support design, analysis, testing and calibration activities related to the climate system. You will be expected to develop solutions and strategies to balance comfort and range attributes.
You will also support activities related to the DFMEA prevention/detection actions that must be assessed as part of the Thermal & Climate System Validation Plan.
- Create system and component requirements and technical specifications for HVAC units including blowers, heater cores, cooler cores/evaporators, intake/distribution, filters, actuators, ducting.
- Size components such as heat exchangers and blowers as required to deliver cabin comfort.
- Support development of 1D Cabin and Thermal System model.
- Develop comfort model and set comfort targets for different markets with comfort attribute owner.
- Support Calibration of the Thermal System Control Model by supporting Hardware in Loop and Vehicle Testing.
- Collaborate with control and software engineers to develop and calibrate manual and automatic climate control algorithms.
- Collaborate with the design team to develop concepts.
- Lead vehicle & chamber validation tests both in the U.K. and abroad to ensure the climate control systems meet quality, safety, and performance standards.
- Create and maintain validation plan for the climate system.
- Collaborate with external test labs, suppliers, and manufacturers to ensure compliance with industry regulations and standards.
- Liaise with suppliers for climate control system components, ensuring timely delivery, quality, and cost-effectiveness.
- Stay updated on industry regulations, standards, and protocols related to automotive climate control systems to ensure REE remains compliant.
- Support verification of Thermal Systems & components to ensure attribute, system and component level requirements are delivered as part of the Thermal System DFMEA Validation Plan.
- Collaborate with Aerodynamics/CFD Engineers (internal & external) to ensure robust 1D model inputs and delivery of Comfort and Demist/Defrost targets.
- Support Thermal and Climate System Commissioning on Prototype Vehicle builds.
- Collaborate with Thermal System Principal Engineer, Design Engineer(s), Integration Engineer(s) & Suppliers to optimise the Thermal System based on test data and resolve issues.
- Support Quality History Reviews and Design Failure Mode & Effects Analyses for Design Verification Plan generation, and REE Engineering Design Standards
- Collaborate and support the Vehicle Test team through creation of instrumentation requests and test procedures.
- Collaborate with Thermal System Principal Engineer to ensure that Thermal System components are suitable/sized correctly to meet system performance targets.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Thermal Engineering, or a related field, or related experience.
- Proven experience in thermal and climate system design, testing, and development, for on/off highway or motorsport applications
- Good understanding of Automotive Thermal Systems including both Coolant and Refrigerant circuits.
- Vehicle-based Hot Environment/ Cold Environment / Climatic Wind Tunnel Test experience.
- Rig-based component/system thermal chamber test experience.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to analyse complex thermal issues.
- Creation of rig and vehicle based test procedures.
- Knowledge of HV battery, Electrified Drive Units [EDU] and Power Electronics is advantageous.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team working skills.
- Working experience of Microsoft Office products including SharePoint, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- ILR to live and work in the UK. REE do not offer work permits, visas or sponsorships.
- Able to travel within and outside of the U.K. to support testing activities.
- Office Location: REE Engineering Centre, Coventry
- Competitive salary
- Full private medical insurance for employees
- Virtual GP appointments available 24/7
- REE contribution pension scheme (>6%)
- 25 days holiday, plus statutory Bank Holidays
- Life assurance at 4x’s base salary
- Life, Money & wellbeing support
- Free on-site Gym
- Free on-site parking
Join our dynamic team and contribute to the development of state-of-the-art thermal systems that drive innovation and excellence in the industry. Together, we will revolutionize thermal management solutions and make a significant impact clean transportation.
When sourcing this role, REE does not wish to engage with any search firm. REE will not consider any CVs, profiles, or introductions sent to anyone at REE, including REE directly, from external sources, unless they are accompanied TOB’s, signed by REE.